The Macquarie University 100 Mid-Year PhD Scholarships for International Students Application Form, Eligibility, Requirements and Guidelines for the 2017/2018 session | Apply Now.
- Deadline: May 10, 2017.
Macquarie University is pleased to offer 50 International iMQRTP and 50 Domestic MQRTP mid-year scholarships. These scholarships are available to eligible newly commencing PhD candidates and candidates who commenced their PhD in 2017.
The Macquarie University Research Training Program scholarship (MQRTP) scheme allocates funds annually to attract and support high quality domestic and international research candidates to undertake research primarily in the University’s identified strategic priority areas, as well as the broader University community.
Macquarie University is a public research university based in Sydney, Australia, in the suburb of Macquarie Park. Founded in 1964 by the New South Wales Government, it was the third university to be established in the metropolitan area of Sydney.
Scholarship Award: The Australian Government and Macquarie University offer a tuition fee offset through the Research Training Program (RTP) for up to a maximum of three years for a full-time Doctor of Philosophy (PhD). Under the MQRTP scheme, Macquarie University offers international and domestic candidates a living allowance stipend of up to a maximum of three years for a full-time PhD, valued at $26,682 (indexed annually) per annum tax exempt (2017 rate) paid as a fortnightly stipend. International candidates must organise and pay for their own Overseas Health Cover (OSHC).
Macquarie University Scholarship Eligibility:
- Candidates commencing their PhD program at MQ in 2017, including those that have commenced already in 2017, or have a candidature-only offer for 2017 but have yet to commence, or those that have yet to apply.
- Eligible for direct entry into the three-year PhD program. Please refer to the admission requirements for PhD.
- Applicants must meet the University’s HDR English Language Requirements. Applicants who have not met the English language requirements at the time of application are not eligible to apply. No conditional offers will be made.
- Candidates are expected to undertake full-time, internal, on-site candidature at Macquarie University by 15 December 2017.
- Able to start in 2017 as an offer cannot be deferred beyond 2017.
- Candidates will be rated against the scholarship rating guidelines.
- Not a currently enrolled candidate in Macquarie’s Master of Research (MRes) program.
Macquarie University Scholarship Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Admission to Macquarie University’s Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) program will have the following new requirements:
- Applicant to have completed the Macquarie University’s Master of Research (MRes) with at least 75% in the second year of the MRes; or
- Applicant to have completed a Master of Philosophy; or
- Applicant to have completed Master’s degree from another institution with the major research component. The size and length of the research thesis may vary, but it is expected to be of an equivalent scale and scope to the Macquarie University MRes thesis. Performance to be at Distinction level (75% or greater).
Language Requirement: The University’s English requirements are:
- TOEFL (computer?based): Overall of 237 with minimum 19 in Listening, 19 in Reading, 25 in Structure/Writing and TWE of 5.0; OR
- TOEFL (paper?based): Overall of 580 with 53 in Listening, 52 in Reading, 59 in Structure/Written Expression and TWE of 5.0; OR
- iBT (internet?based TOEFL): Overall score of 92 with 23 in Speaking, 18 in Listening, 17 in Reading and 22 in Writing; OR
- IELTS (academic version): Overall 6.5 with minimum of 6.0 in each band
How to Apply for Macquarie University Scholarship – Application Form:
- New applicants yet to submit an application must provide a complete application via the eApplication portal (transcripts, degrees/statement of completion, English proficiency evidence, proposal and other relevant documentation). Applicants must request referees to email reports to HDRO office as soon as possible. No conditional offers will be made. You must select “2017 Mid-Year MQRTP” in the scholarship section when you complete your application.
- Candidates who commenced in 2017 (including those who have completed the Master of Research program at Macquarie University and progressing into the PhD but did not meet the PhD scholarship criteria). Candidates must submit a scholarship application form to hdrschol-at-mq.edu.au with the subject line: “2017 Mid-Year MQRTP” and include your student ID number.
- International and domestic candidates who have currently been offered candidature for 2017 commencement and have not yet enrolled in their PhD program are eligible to apply for these scholarships if they can commence by 15 December 2017. Please notify hdrschol-at-mq.edu.au with the subject line: “2017 Mid-Year MQRTP” and include your student ID number. If you have not previously applied for scholarships, you will need to complete a scholarship application form.
- Candidates who have already submitted an application to Macquarie University and would like to apply for the scholarship must notify hdrschol-at-mq.edu.au with the subject line: “2017 Mid-Year MQRTP” and include your student ID number if applicable.
Candidates who have already submitted an application to Macquarie University and would like to apply for the scholarship must notify hdrschol-at-mq.edu.au with the subject line: “2017 Mid-Year MQRTP” and include your student ID number if applicable.
Application Deadline: The application deadline is May 10, 2017.