- The Steinberg Global Health Postdoctoral Fellowship at McGill University Application Form, Eligibility, Requirements and Guidelines for the 2017/2018 academic year.
- Deadline: March 31, 2017.
McGill University is inviting applications for Steinberg Global Health Postdoctoral Fellowship. These fellowships are open to current or entering postdoctoral fellows from any global health related discipline.
McGill University is a public research university in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. It was established in 1821 by royal charter, issued by King George IV of Great Britain.
Steinberg Global Health Postdoctoral Fellowship Eligibility criteria:
- Applicants must have or have arranged supervision by a member of McGill University Faculty who is a Professor, Associate Professor or an Assistant Professor. Most of McGill’s global health teams and researchers can be found on the GHP website.
- Applicants from varying specialties within global health, including but not limited to medicine, nursing, health sciences, humanities, epidemiology, public health, and health policy are encouraged to apply. Fundamental (laboratory or bench) research projects, without a clear translational focus on population outcomes will not be within the scope of this fellowship.
- Applicants to the 2017-2018 Steinberg Global Health Postdoctoral Fellowship program must fulfill or have fulfilled all degree requirements for a PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree doctorate (DPhil, DPH, MD, DVM or similar terminal degree) before August 31, 2017. Awardees must be within 5 years of completion of this degree to hold the award.
- Applicants, who do not have the PhD or PhD-equivalent degree in hand at the time of application, must include a letter from their Department Chair specifying that dissertation defense will take place before September 1st, 2017. Successful applicants who do not complete all requirements for their PhD by August 31, 2017, will have their offer of award withdrawn.
- Please see the Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies Office for detailed information on postdoctoral registration at McGill. Please make sure you meet the general requirements to be a postdoc in Quebec and Canada. Fellows must comply with all postdoctoral registration requirements. If selected, candidates from outside of Canada will need to budget for time required for immigration/work permit processing.
How to Apply for Steinberg Global Health Postdoctoral Fellowship – Application Form
Prospective candidates should submit:
- Application form – Please download to fill.
- PhD supervisor recommendation letter (maximum 2 pages)
- McGill supervisor recommendation letter (if different from above). The letter should speak both to your qualifications and the role the supervisor will play in supporting your work. (maximum 2 pages)
- Research proposal. Please write in simple, non-technical language. Award committee members come from varied global health backgrounds and may not be experts in your particular field (maximum 5 pages). Please include:
- Brief abstract or summary of your proposal
- The objectives and significance of your proposed global health research program
- The contribution that your research will make to the advancement of knowledge
- How the proposed research program is situated within relevant scholarly literature
- The theoretical approach or framework that will be used
- The research question(s) and/or hypothesis(es)
- The methodology and why it was chosen
- The outcomes being measured and the potential for impact
- The plan to disseminate the findings
- Timeline/workplan of your work for at least one, but preferably, two years.
6. Training expectations: Please provide an overview of how this postdoctoral experience will contribute to your future research ambitions and productivity (1 page).
7. Applicants must provide a copy of their complete university academic record to date, including undergraduate transcripts. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. Please arrange transcripts in chronological order starting with the most recent. International transcripts must be in English or French.
8. Current McGill post-docs must provide Proof of registration in the postdoctoral program at McGill.
New post-docs to McGill must provide a letter from the academic department you hope to join saying that they support your application (a sample of this letter can be provided by Global Health Programs please contact the GHP office).
Application Deadline is March 31, 2017 at 11:59pm EST. Incomplete applications will not be considered.